Tuesday, May 15, 2012


Today I got an A on a Biology assignment (Thanks, Mrs.Leonard). I was checking on my grades when I discovered that an A in her class is within grasp. So, I decided to go all out on my project that I am doing. I am to make a map of a property that I design that includes native plants and animals. Now, my map is going to be the best. My group already decided that they don’t want it to be extravagant so, it will have to be amazing but not too much. But, I like to overdo projects. I mean, this is a project. Yes,yes, this blog’s creation is the works of my Journalism teacher, Mr. Pāñtóñ (you have to pronounce all of the accents), but I over did mine a tad. Instead of posting once a week, I try to maintain a daily regimen of “virtual green passion”.  How did I even get to this topic? To go back to what I was saying, I jumped up from the chair and ran to the art closet and got every piece of green cardstock and ribbon I could find. Before, my arms fell off I ran to my laundry room to put it all in one bag that I could carry to school. Well, low-and-behold there were two new bags. One, I got in 2008 in Whole Foods Seattle on Earth Day. The second one, caught me by surprise. I had never seen it before. “We pay for screens, fish stay in streams”. That’s what it said. Then under is a picture of a fish saying thanks. I was curious I asked my gal Google (Google is a girl in my mind). She informed me of a serious problem that I never really thought about. Now, I love fish. So, when I hear about something that threatens them, I get upset. Did you know that fish are getting into the sprinklers used in farming?


Food for thought…and action.

Thankfully, someone in my family cared enough to by a canvas bag from some organization that is investing money in putting up screens over pipes so fish can’t go in places that are dangerous. I will investigate further and let you know how to help. Meanwhile, here lies my tip.

#36 Below is a letter from Change.org. If you want to be an extra shade of green, signing this petition will literally require less effort than it took for me to write this sentence. Don’t let that go to waste. Sign it.

 Meryl -
Half a billion markers. That's how many plastic markers Crayola makes every year -- enough to circle the earth three times! And since Crayola has no recycling program for used markers, many of those markers end up in landfills, or even worse, the ocean.
Elementary school kids take action. Land Wilson is a volunteer who works with the "Kids That Care" club at Sun Valley Elementary School in California. The kids were horrified to learn that their beloved Crayola markers could end up as trash in the ocean, killing wildlife like fish, sea turtles and marine birds.
You can help. Land and the kids started a petition on Change.org asking Crayola to start a program for consumers to recycle their markers. The kids believe that if thousands of people sign their petition, Crayola will let consumers make sure their markers end up in recycling bins, not oceans or landfills.
Thanks,
Corinne

2 comments:

  1. The book you wanted was called Its Easy Being Green (pink with green text on the front).

    ReplyDelete