Saturday, March 31, 2012

Looking back on yesterdays ranting, you may be confused. The chart was technically tip number six... followed by ramblings of a mad woman. So this is number 7.

#7  Compost. I remember when I was little, my friend and I decided to take the food in my fridge and bury it so, we could compost something. We got halfway through the produce drawer when my mom found us. But, this is not about my nerdy self in smaller form. Composting, as I learned, is disposing of food waste (ex. strawberry leaves and orange peel) and then using that decomposed matter as soil or fertilizer. It is super easy and cheap. Unless you want to be Mr. Fancy Pants, in which case, places such as Bed, Bath, and Beyond (maybe Target?) sell food composers that are just like garbage cans except you throw it on the ground. If you don't want to spend the cash, digging a hole in your garden/yard and throwing the food waste there also works. But, beware. Don't dig it back up and DO NOT under no circumstance throw out your mom's groceries.


Those were the least gross methods. For more ideas, check out http://www.recycleworks.org/compost/methods.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment